"Impact of online tutoring services on education industry"
20 Jun 2017 ,Education,Team Tutago
Online tutoring services impact the education industry
The education industry is facing what is commonly known as ‘The Digital Transformation of Everyday Lives’. Simply said, this is by far one of the most important evolutions within the Indian education sector today. Comparing traditional mediums of teaching to current, the vast differences are evident and growing. Overall, digital transformation is a welcome change for students, teachers and parents alike. Additionally, it is high time that the opportunities and challenges faced by the education industry in regards to online tutoring are known by all.
The two sides of a coin represent the positives and negatives of the online tutoring system. Upon observing, the positive effects seem to outweigh the negativity it has drawn. An increased emphasis on online services has helped transform the medium of learning and raised the standards of preexisting online portals.
Online tutoring services are most sought-after by people who are in need of help beyond their regular classes. For example, Student A is having trouble understanding a chapter on calculus in Class 12 CBSE, he requires extra classes for just this topic and not the whole math course. Tutor B is a Math Honors student at Delhi University and is looking at gaining some extra practice and exposure. By using the online tutoring tools, the two individuals can be matched, and fulfill both their requirements.
Some educational companies have released their own versions of tutoring based websites and mobile apps that can be used for hiring tutors. This has simplified the search for good-reliable tutors, which was once considered a difficult job. Students using online tutoring can utilize interactive software tools to learn the subjects. Also, students can easily seek help for advanced, non-traditional subjects by just mentioning the subject details they require help in and the Education Board the subject is a part of.
How does online tutoring impact the industry?
As for students and parents who are wondering how online tutoring has impacted the education industry, read on to know more.
Unlike previous days, it is now easier and hassle-free to find a tutor nearby your residence just by mentioning your locality and subject details. Biggest advantages of the services are detailed below:
- Online tutoring has paved the way for adaptive learning, which enables students to provide feedback after every session. In return, this gets students interested in the sessions and urges the knowledge provider (University or Instructors respectively) to provide reputed quality course materials for the students.
- After the completion of a course online, students are further provided with suggestions for other courses that come under the same category. This allows instructors to understand the student’s interests further. It has believed that such a feedback mechanism has effectively reduced the number of school dropouts according to recently conducted surveys.
- Instructors have standardized marking guides, which allows for consistency. Also, allowing for provisions to tabulate marks, which are retrievable later.
- Students are given the opportunity of providing feedback and ratings for the instructors they studied with, thereby providing the instructors a chance to improve their teaching skills to better suit the students learning.
Benefits to students and tutors
Tutors benefit from a range of opportunities, which include:
- Tutors conduct sessions at the convenience of students and themselves, for example, student residences or cafes. Session timings are flexible, depending on schedules of both individuals. There is a minimal hindrance to regular schedules and day-to-day activities.
- High school/college students who wish to financially support themselves while studying can register as tutors. Allowing them to earn pocket money while also enhancing individual value on CV’s and LinkedIn profiles.
- It is believed that instructors part of the online tutoring sphere have gained respectable positions in the education industry, which by itself is a big career growth.
- Tutors and students alike, benefit from one-on-one personalized learning instead of a mass classroom setting.
Similarly, benefits to students include:
- Sessions are slotted at own convenience, without interfering with the regular academic schedules
- Tutors within the vicinity can be hired for assistance using apps or tutoring website
- This ensures personalized learning, as the students receive undivided attention with opportunities to address personal problems and queries.
In conclusion, as a system, online tutoring is gaining momentum and is the need of the hour. With the successful launch of facilities like Uber, Amazon etc, individual perspectives towards online portals are changing. Tutoring apps are relying on changing ideologies for their successful launch.